Max is advertised as ‘the one to watch‘ and offers a catalog of titles to suit different family members. For those that prefer watching horror movies, here are 15 scary movies that we think are ‘ones to watch.’ We’ve also included an additional 22 bonus mentions, just in case our picks aren’t your picks.
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
- Runtime: 1h 31m | Starring: Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, Johnny Depp, John Saxon, Amanda Wyss, Lin Shaye
A Nightmare On Elm Street was the movie that started the Freddy Krueger franchise, bringing nightmares to life for the first time. If you have yet to see Wes Craven’s original, now might be the time to do so.
- Runtime: 1h 35m | Starring: Annabelle Wallis, Ward Horton, Brian Howe, Alfre Woodard
Terrifying supernatural occurrences begin to take place following the arrival of Annabelle, a vintage doll. But is Annabelle just a doll? This is definitely one for fans of movies from The Conjuring Universe.
- Runtime: 1h 42m | Starring: Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long, Georgina Campbell, Zach Cregger
After unexpectedly agreeing to split an Airbnb with a stranger for one night, due to a double booking, things go from bad to worse once it becomes clear the Airbnb is hiding a terrifying secret.
Evil Dead Rise (2023)
- Runtime: 1h 36m | Starring: Morgan Davies, Alyssa Sutherland, Lily Sullivan, Gabrielle Echols, Bruce Campbell
Evil Dead Rise is the latest installment in the popular Evil Dead franchise. This time, it is a single mother and her family in an L.A. apartment building that finds themselves having to deal with bloodthirsty demons.
- Runtime: 2h 7m | Starring: Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd
There are many things you might find out when tracing your family ancestry, but an evil lineage is probably not one that most people would expect to uncover, and have to deal with.
- Runtime: 2h 15m | Starring: Bill Skarsgård, Jaeden Martell, Finn Wolfhard, Jack Dylan Grazer, Wyatt Oleff, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Jackson Robert Scott
Based on the bestselling novel from Stephen King, It tells the story of Pennywise the dancing clown who emerges from the sewer every 27 years. Each time Pennywise surfaces, children in the town seem to disappear.
- Runtime: 1h 51m | Starring: Annabelle Wallis, Maddie Hasson, Mckenna Grace, George Young, Ingrid Bisu, Jake Abel
From James Wan, Malignant tells the story of Madison, a young woman who suffers from shocking visions. Are they just visions, or actually terrifying realities?
- Runtime: 2h | Starring: Heather O’Rourke, JoBeth Williams, Craig T. Nelson, Zelda Rubinstein, Dominique Dunne, Oliver Robins
The original Poltergeist quickly became a horror classic after its initial release. Watch along as an average California family tries to survive the malevolent spirits sharing their home.
The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
- Runtime: 1h 35m | Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Kristen Connolly, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Bradley Whitford
Five college friends head off to a remote forest cabin for a little time away together, but things quickly go in an unexpected (and horrifying) direction. Perfect for fans of old-school horror movies but with a modern twist.
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)
- Runtime: 1h 52m | Starring: Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Sarah Catherine Hook, Ruairi O’Connor
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is actually the third movie in the franchise, and sees paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren taking on one of the most sensational cases from their files.
The Curse of La Llorona (2019)
- Runtime: 1h 34m | Starring: Jaynee-Lynne Kinchen, Roman Christou, Marisol Ramirez, Raymond Cruz, Patricia Velasquez, Sean Patrick
A woman who drowned her kids in a jealous rage in 17th-century Mexico appears to be back again, and now haunting families in 1970s Los Angeles.
The Exorcist (1973)
- Runtime: 2h 2m | Starring: Linda Blair, Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Max von Sydow
In what is probably one of the most famous horror movies of all time, a young Regan starts acting strange, and things only get worse when Regan’s mother enlists the help of a local priest.
The Nun (2018)
- Runtime: 1h 39m | Starring: Taissa Farmiga, Bonnie Aarons, Jonas Bloquet, Demián Bichir, Vera Farmiga
The Nun is another entry in The Conjuring Universe. This time, a young nun and a priest with a haunted past investigate an unholy terror that’s stalking the cavernous halls of a Romanian abbey.
The Shining (1980)
- Runtime: 2h 40m | Starring: Shelley Duvall, Jack Nicholson, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers
The Shining is another classic horror movie and one which combines the worlds of Stephen King and Stanley Kubrick. Join the Torrance family for a winter-long stay at the isolated Overlook Hotel.
The Witch (2015)
- Runtime: 1h 32m | Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Harvey Scrimshaw, Kate Dickie, Sarah Stephens
Set in 1630, strange things begin to happen after a family relocates to a remote part of New England, leading to suspicion and paranoia among each of the family members.
Bonus horror movies to watch on Max right now
While the 15 horror movies listed above are all worth checking out, here are 22 more that you can stream on Max right now.
- Blair Witch (2016)
- Carrie (1976)
- Cujo (1983)
- Exorcist II: The Heretic
- Final Destination (2000)
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- Green Room (2015)
- Insidious (2010)
- Mirrors (2008)
- Orphan (2009)
- Pet Sematary (2019)
- Scream (1996)
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- The Amityville Horror (1979)
- The Conjuring (2013)
- The Descent (2005)
- The Haunting (1999)
- The Lost Boys (1987)
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
- Thinner (1996)
- Trick ‘r Treat (2007)
- You’re Next (2011)
For those completely new to Max, this streaming service offers multiple subscription tiers to choose from. The cheapest costs $9.99 a month and is an ad-supported plan. For those that prefer an ad-free viewing experience, there’s the option to upgrade to either a $15.99 or $19.99 a month subscription.
|$9.99-$19.99 a month|
35,000+ hours on demand
HBO and Discovery favorites