Categories
Latest News

Streaming Accounted for 34% Of Total TV Usage In April

This post may contain affiliate links and we may earn a commission. Learn more

Streaming accounted for 34 percent of total TV usage in April, resulting in a very slight decrease compared to the previous month. In contrast, cable saw a bump in TV usage during last month.

Following March Madness and The Oscars in March, April can be more of a quiet month in TV land, and that appears to have been the case here. According to the latest data from Nielsen, total TV usage in the US decreased 1.9% from March to April, marking the third consecutive monthly decline. 

Breaking down that data, streaming accounted for 34% of total TV usage in the month of April, which is 0.1% down on the 34.1% noted for March 2023. Cable, in second place, totaled 31.5% which marks a 0.4% increase on the month before. Elsewhere, Broadcast accounted for 23.1% (down 0.2%) and Other (up 0.1%). 

According to Nielsen, the Cable increase was the first back-to-back share increase for the category since May 2021, when Nielsen first started recording data for The Gauge. The increase was also said to be fueled by an increase in cable news viewing.

In terms of individual services, YouTube (not including YouTube Tv) was top with 8.1% and this was followed by Netflix at 6.9%. Compared to last month, YouTube increased (up from 7.8%) while Netflix decreased (down from 7.3%).

Elsewhere, Hulu (not including Live TV) accounted for 3.3% (no change from the month before), Prime Video 2.9% (up 0.1%), Disney Plus 1.8% (no change), HBO Max 1.2% (no change), and Peacock at 1.1% (no change). 

In terms of the free services, Tubi accounted for 1.1% while Pluto TV accounted for 0.8%. Compared to last month, this resulted in no change for Pluto TV and a 0.1% increase for Tubi.

John Finn
Connect
Want to stay up to date on all our latest news and guides? Sign up to the Streaming Better newsletter.
John Finn

By John Finn

John Finn is the Founder and Editor of Streaming Better, a platform created in 2019 to help consumers navigate the complicated live TV streaming and subscription service market.

John has been covering technology for various online publications since 2014. After originally covering the wider tech industry as a writer and editor, John now spends his time focusing on the emerging video-streaming market, including live TV streaming, SVOD, AVOD, FAST, and TVOD services.

In a bid to keep up to date on the industry, John actively subscribes to multiple streaming services at the same time. However, John continues to advocate that the best approach for consumers is to rotate between streaming services as needed.

A Psychology graduate from England, who now lives in the US, John previously worked in the aviation industry as an airline reviewer. While reviewing airlines isn't quite the same as reviewing devices and streaming services, John brings the same analytical eye to all of his reviews and industry analysis, along with a special emphasis on what's best for the consumer.

Connect with John
Email: john@streamingbetter.com
X: @J_Finns
Website: JohnFinn.net

Leave a Reply

Streaming can be frustrating but please be respectful and avoid personal information. All comments are moderated according to our comment policy.