The Fire TV platform has now launched a new and improved level of integration for DirecTV Stream. While the live TV streaming service’s app was already available to download on Fire TV devices, this latest change makes it easier to access DirecTV Stream directly from the Home screen.
Live TV integration at the Home screen level is something that’s becoming all the more common. Set-top boxes like Dish’s AirTV player and DirecTV’s Gemini device naturally make it easier to access live TV services they are associated with. In Air TV’s case, Sling TV, and in Gemini’s case, either DirecTV or DirecTV Stream.
However, third-party platforms have also started making it easier to access live TV as well. Google TV is one of the best examples and especially after a recent update which greatly increased the number of free live TV channels a user can access from the Home screen.
Now, Fire TV is in the process of improving its live TV Home screen experience and specifically for DirecTV Stream subscribers. As DirecTV explains, one of the key benefits of this tighter level of integration is the easier ability to check TV listings in the Live tab on Fire TV’s Home screen.
In addition, DirecTV Stream subscribers will also now be able to see channels they’ve recently watched and search for content from the Home screen.
Here’s the full list of what subscribers can now do:
- Recently Watched: Fire TV will surface channels you recently watched on the Home screen.
- On Now: Discover live channels directly through this row on the Home screen.
- Live tab: Conveniently browse favorite channels, live sports, and breaking news events.
- Guide: See what’s airing now and in the next 14 days with one click via your Fire TV remote or the ‘Live’ tab.
- Search: Display integrated results for live TV and apps.
- Alexa: Use Alexa on your Fire TV device to search for linear airings, pull up the Guide, and simplify channel discovery for live TV via voice, e.g. “Alexa, tune to ABC in DIRECTV.”
Providing a Fire TV user already has the DirecTV Stream app downloaded and installed from the Amazon Appstore on their Fire TV device, then they should start to see the integration without having to do anything extra.
However, they can check and manage the integration by navigating to the Live tab, scrolling down and clicking on Options, and then on Live TV Sources. From here, users can add and manage any supported live sources including the newly added DirecTV Stream source.